Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Damn straight, they're my heroes!

Andy Rooney is a senile old bat who should've been sold to the glue factory back in the Pleistocene Age, but nevertheless his latest column is making the rounds at The Mudville Gazette and other places. I started the following as a comment at Blackfive's, but then thought maybe it was a little too inflammatory and crazed to leave on somebody else's blog:

I'm sorry to have to say something this terrible, but nobody else is saying it and it needs to be said.

Osama bin Laden & his crew declared war on Americans February 23, 1998.

"The ruling to kill the Americans and their allies--civilians and military--is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in any country in which it is possible to do it,"

So - Andy Rooney, and you, and I, and our children, auto mechanics and pizza delivery boys are walking, talking military targets. War has been declared; war has been ongoing for six years. Wars are either won or lost. If the fighting comes to my territory, I will not willing lose my war. If need be, I will take the offensive on the streets of my own town.

It is a terrible thing that I'm saying. If the only way to save my country and liberty is by destroying my enemy on my homeground, will I become a mosque-burner? Will I be sending anthrax to CAIR? Will I go that far?

Please God let me not be put to the test.

This sounds very melodramatic, but if the Andy Rooneys of the world get what they say they want, it's not outside the possibilities.

On the brighter side, I don't think Rooney & co actually want what they say they want.

But anyway - yeah, the military people who are taking the war to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the intelligence people and propaganda people and rebuilding people, are all my heroes. They are keeping me from being put to a test that I can readily see myself failing.


No comments: