Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Avenger of Bones

I just found The Mesopotamian, a blog written by a gentleman named Alaa out of Iraq. Like me, he's on blogspot, so of course his site is down right now, but assuming it's up by the time you read this post, do drop by. He has an exotic, flowery style wrapped around idealistic hope for his country and some sound common sense.

I was taken aback by his comments on President Bush's visit to Iraq:

"The bones of the mass graves salute you, Avenger of bones."

I don't know that a single sentence has ever moved me quite that much. 11 words with decades of implication for 100's of thousands of souls . . .


On the more pragmatic side, that must be heady stuff to hear about yourself. I'm afraid if I received that sort of salutation on a regular basis, I'd get quite the swelled head.



No comments: