Tuesday, February 10, 2004

People Suck

(1) "Despite or maybe because of the Janet Jackson breast-baring fallout, the Grammys were seen by 26.3 million viewers making Sunday night's awards show the third-most watched Grammy telecast of the last 10 years."

(2) One of the comments on another blog* spewed out this slander:

"With Mel Gibson's new movie, The Passion of Christ set for release any day now, I really fear an even greater rise in anti Sem not only in Europe, but here in the States too. I cannot understand Gibson's motivations for this movie. I haven't seen it but from what I read it will foster anti-Jewish feelings. It is not only Jews who have come out against the movie, but many Catholics too."

So I sent the person a private e-mail:

"Hello!

You said: "With Mel Gibson's new movie, The Passion of Christ set for release any day now, I really fear an even greater rise in anti Sem not only in Europe, but here in the States too. I cannot understand Gibson's motivations for this movie. I haven't seen it but from what I read it will foster anti-Jewish feelings. It is not only Jews who have come out against the movie, but many Catholics too."

I would appreciate it very much if you could avoid saying things like that in the future, at least until after you've actually seen the movie. I'm not anti-Semitic yet, but I'm about 5 more comments like that away from becoming so.

The rumors of Mel Gibson's 'evilness' are based on a stolen, pre-worked draft. Mr. Gibson has been working closely with various parties to vet the movie for alleged anti-Semitism.

A lot of Christians have worked hard to keep anti-Semitism down. In WWII, quite a few lost their lives for it. Too much of my tax money has been forcibly taken from me, to be given to 'artists,' to blaspheme my Christian God - and nobody cares but us Christians, and the ADL won't speak up for us. Gibson's movie was privately funded; it's no money out of your pocket. & you haven't. even. seen it.

It's another thing entirely if you've seen the movie and can point to something specific. But to denigrate something you haven't seen based on a rumor based on a stolen script that was never intended to be the final - shame!

We (Christians) are constantly assaulted in our beliefs - Piss Christ, The Last Temptation of Christ, the Virgin Mary covered in animal dung . . . now all we're asking is to be able to watch ONE STINKING MOVIE in peace.

Be fair."

I got this back:

"My gut reaction to your tirade is Jesus Christ!@
I was NOT condemning your God or Christianity - for fuck sakes Christ was a Jew if you recall and I have nothing but respect for other religions. There are millions of evangelical Christians for example who have supported Israel through good and bad.
I work for Jewish institutions and I respect the pronouncements of these groups and my peers. I will see the movie and make my own final decision, but I don't see the hooplah in expressing my FEARS that the movie might incur a new wave of anti-Semitism. You seem a little confused - to say you are a few degrees from being an anti-Semite, well, that in itself doesn't say much for you I'm afraid. You have overreacted to put it mildly. But hey, this is America, and you're entitled to your opinion."

and

"PS what is this about the Virgin Mary covered in shit???? Just curious! And in rereading your letter, I find it frankly humourous of you to suggest that your religion is being persecuted!"


I won't be sending this person any information about the Virgin Mary 'piece.' Let this cretin find its own amusement.

*details removed.



No comments: