Thursday, July 10, 2003

WTWHTAS
Chap 10, part 8



It was during this period that I thought I met Davy Jones, the mythical keeper of lost sailors' souls. I am told it is unusual for a man to remember the creatures of his delirium. I know only this: That the things I relate now are more vivid in my mind than many that actually happened, even though these were delusions of a mind set off kilter by thirst, hunger, and suffering.


On one of those nights - it could have been either the 16th or the 17th - it seemed I heard a voice:


"This is Davy Jones, Jim. Come on down; down to my locker. I want to see you."


I remember thinking I had nothing to lose. So, it seemed in my delirium, I slid over the side of the raft, being careful Rick didn't see me go, and slipped down and down through the warm water. On the bottom I came face to face with Davy, a powerfully built man with a white mustache that curled down over the corners of his mouth. With him was his assistant, Jim Blood.


No comments: