Monday, July 07, 2003

American-American


Emperor Misha I has a post on the oath required to become a naturalized citizen, and offers up the thought that native Americans should also be required to take it. Various commenters comment, including suggesting it should be required before you can vote, or before you can be eligible for welfare benefits etc., or that it shouldn't be required at all.


I confess that I am uncomfortable with forcing native citizens to take. I think they SHOULD, and they are scumbags if they wouldn't take it and MEAN it, but still don't feel right about forcing it on people. Mom came up with an idea I like:
Why not have an organization of people who do it voluntarily? Native Americans who take the test and the oath voluntarily, who go to the Naturalized Citizen awards and applaud? A sort of welcoming committe of people who've actually read the Constitution?

Why can't I think of things like that?


No comments: